Children who are diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder are first and foremost themselves. As all children they are unique and have unique strengths and needs in communication.
Assessment and therapy incorporate numerous approaches to teaching children to become stronger, more confident communicators. Plans are individual and based on a Functional Assessment in addition to any formal assessment which may be required.
Aspects of therapy are informed by:
- the Hanen Centre‘s programme for children with autism, More Than Words
- the SCERTS Model
- Social Thinking (“Think Social”; “Thinking About You, Thinking About Me”; “Incredible Flexible You” etc…)
- attention to organization and Executive Function Skills
- narrative development with use of The Story Braid
- use of visual supports including Social Stories